Playing with and caring for pets as a career is far much better compared to most of the careers out there. But, you may wonder, how do I become a pet sitter? If these sound like an activity, you would love to try, then it is one of the things I would encourage you to go for.
I have explored the matter in-depth for you to know on how to become a pet sitter in this article step-by-step. Take a look and make that final career decision.
Where To Start On Being A Pet Sitter
1. Thoroughly Research The Details
Take your time to research the profession as it is one of the best ways to get started on becoming a pet sitter. Understand fully what the career entails, for instance, what will be your responsibilities, required skills, the working hours, and salary range.
2. Understand The Job’s Description
The job will entail babysitting pets whose owners are away may be on holiday, at work, or are held up in other activities away from home. You can be asked by the owners to pet sit the pets at their homes or just visit and take the pets for walks.
Ensuring the pet’s safety and wellness will be your responsibility, on top of;
- Feeding the pets and giving them fresh water.
- Brushing and grooming them.
- Bathing them.
- Cleaning their litter boxes.
- Taking them for walks.
- Vacuuming them once you wash them.
- Giving medications to the pets
- In times of emergency, you will take the pets to the veterinaries.
Additional duties may be agreed upon as well, more so, if you agree to stay at the pet owner’s home while they have travelled.
These should be agreed upon and may include;
- Cleaning the whole house.
- Washing the cookware you use.
- Watering their plants.
- Cooking meals for the pets
- Collecting the owner’s mail.
Charge an additional fee on these if they are not stated in the initial contract.
3. Required Pet Skills And Qualities
No matter how the pet you are paid to take care of looks, you should show love to them always because some are fluffy, feathered, scaly, small, big, multiple pets, and more. If you can’t handle all sorts of pets make it a priority to enquire about the pet, you will be taking care of before signing a contract.
Important skills and qualities for a pet sitting career include;
- Being reliable and trustworthy.
- Have excellent customer care skills.
- Having strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be emphatic to the pets as well as their owners.
- Patience with the pets.
- Willing to work outdoors.
- Organized and practical.
4. Working Hours And Conditions
Flexibility is a quality you will need a lot in this job because pet sitting is not any other typical job where you will get on at 9 a.m. and be off at 5 p.m. Set your own hours or just opt to follow a stipulated work schedule.
Companies that deal with pet sitting should be flexible enough to receive calls and last-minute requests 24/7.
5. Pet Sitting Salary Range
As an independent pet sitter you have the advantage of setting your own rates, but approximately the pay range lies between $10-$25 per an hour or more depending on the number of factors. Start from the bottom and work your salary range upwards as you build your experience.
An agency that offers its pet sitting services online will attract a commission that ranges between 10%-20%. The average annual salary for pet sitters is approximately $29, 843, based on your experience, reputation, and client base.
Learn more facts on how to become a pet sitter here.