Artificial insemination is one of the most affordable and most effective fertility treatment methods available today. Many people have attested to the fact that artificial insemination does work. More so, works best among the very many available fertility treatments anyone can use. But, the main question on many people’s minds who have not tried it at all is, ‘how much does artificial insemination cost?
Some health insurances do cover the cost of artificial insemination, for instance, the geographic location of a person’s residence and place of work will determine the cost! The cost may be influenced by the state laws of each state as well as the insurance coverage.
To answer the question, ‘how much does artificial insemination cost?’ this article has elaborated on all that is involved to perfectly give you the approximate cost. A worthy read indeed.
What Are The Factors That Determine The Cost Of Artificial Insemination?
Mostly determined by what services and resources you need for the overall fertility treatment to work effectively on every other individual.
- Consultation- a minimum of one consultation appointment is required with your fertility doctor to discuss the way forward, as well as to run some tests to help plan the treatment. This will add the cost.
- Testing for ovulation- at the right time when it is perfect to start the treatment after tracking your ovulation your doctor can monitor the ovulation for you. That is if you don’t know how to do it at home using at-home monitoring and ovulation kits. Which involves some doctor visits, blood tests, and ultrasounds. These attract different costs
- Fertility medications- for instance, Clomid may be administered to you as it is to many of the women. Primarily, for stimulation and increasing fertility levels. Regular ovulation and the use of frozen sperm for the AI will not require medication.
- Semen laboratory processing- if it binds you to use a sperm donor or frozen sperm, it will attract more cost for the donor sperm or freezing storage. Otherwise, you can opt to use it from a person you have agreed with.
- Insemination procedure- takes only a few minutes to perform and they do it through any of the following ways;
i. At-home Insemination
Rather than visiting your doctor, you can try it on yourself at home. Many women like this idea for their pregnancy process to cut on the costs and maintain privacy. You can buy artificial Insemination kits over-the-counter for about $25-$150.
Common for couples who have no issues at all with their fertility and require a reduced precise treatment for the procedure to work.
ii. ICI (Intra-cervical Insemination)
One of the most widespread AI methods done at the doctor’s place. They plant a sperm near the cervix; this gives it a more increased chance of reaching the uterus and eventually for fertilization to occur.
Costs approximately $200-$300 for every AI session on top of the costs incurred on the doctor’s visits, fertility medications, or any other used resources.
iii. Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
IUI cost ranges between $300-800 per session. During this method, a highly active and into the uterus the doctor deposits the washed mobile sperm specimen using a thin, sterile, and flexible catheter. The most expensive method.
What Is The Overall Artificial Insemination Cost Range?
Well, the cost varies based on the diverse factors involved and the AI you go for as listed above. Be ready to pay around $300-$500 per an AI insemination cycle. Doctors are best placed to peg the price as per their institution’s cost range and the best treatment for you in Artificial insemination.
Optional Services That Increase The Cost
- Using a sperm donor because of testing beforehand and where you get the specimen from, for instance, if it involves shipping and storage.
- Gender choosing may cost approximately $1,600.
- Injectable fertility medications run around $50 per injection and you may need several.
- Ordering a pelvic ultrasound check on the ovaries and uterus; $150 -$500. A one-time fee.
Read more on the artificial insemination cost ranges here