Diastasis recti surgery also known as abdominal separation, involves a condition in which the stomach tends to stick out because the muscles in the abdomen have enlarged, Diastasis recti occur in many women during pregnancy and they opt to have a diastasis recti surgery to avoid the condition becoming permanent in them.
The article elaborates on the whole diastasis recti repair surgery process and its cost, what it involves, and what you need to do to have one done on your stomach muscles.
General Information About Diastasis Recti Surgery
- The average recovery time is about 7weeks.
- The Diastasis recti surgery or repair is permanent.
- It is a surgical type procedure.
- Cost is approximately $5,000- 19,000
What To Expect And Do After Surgery
- Drains are placed on you for approximately 2 weeks after surgery.
- You may suffer from some form of inflammation for the next 6 weeks.
- Wear a compression garment during this recovery period.
- Take all the necessary care and precautions not to reopen the wounds for the next 3 months. This means no bending or lifting heavy objects.
- Depending on your body’s recovery rate, it may take up to a year to fully recover after the Diastasis recti surgery.
Who Is Eligible For Diastasis Recti Surgery?
This procedure is only recommended for those people who have abdominal muscles that have separated at their midline. Since the division leads to a swollen look, that diet or exercise can help get rid of it.
Diastasis recti surgery is not good for people who have not tried other methods to repair the condition affecting their abdominal muscles, such as taking proper diets and doing exercises.
Not perfect if you are less than 1 year into your postpartum period!
What Are The Side Effects Of Diastasis Recti Surgery?
Diastasis recti surgery may range from bruising, inflammation, pain and discomfort, unsuitable scarring, and generally the results may not be as you wanted.
- A perfect procedure that repairs the abdominal muscles.
- Gives your stomach a better appearance and makes it more defined.
- Abdominal muscles regain their muscles and become more defined.
- Perfect for hernia repair.
- Only addresses the abdominal muscles and not any other underlying skin or general health status of the person.
- May recall for an additional procedure for the skin.
You may wonder what actually causes the excess tummy fat in a person’s abdominal muscles area? Maybe it is caused by something else apart from the fat accumulation in that area. Although the condition can be rectified through regular exercise and proper nutrition, but it will depend on factors such as;
- Your lifestyle.
- Genetics and body frame of the person.
- How much weight you have gained or lost.
- General skin strength.
- Size of the baby or babies you have delivered.
- The times you have given birth.
These factors will determine the amount of excess tummy fat or skin folds because of the damage to your abdominal muscles as you give birth during pregnancy or childbirth.
The Medical Facts
Stretching of the abdominal muscles leads to the two main panels of your muscles down the middle of your abs to separate leaving a bulge. This signifies that there has been a separation in your abdominal muscles.
I the split leaves behind a gap, a rounded stomach, and a persistent post-partum belly bulge, then Diastasis recti surgery id necessary.
At Home Check For Torn Abdominal Muscles
Basically fit 2-3 fingers in between your stomach muscles, if they fit you likely to have the condition. Take it up with a doctor if you are not so sure about the home diagnosis you just did at home. Specialist plastic surgeons are good to confirm and carry out the precision on you if need be. Get the best referral from your GP or obstetrician.
Read more on the entire process here.