As your baby turns 2 years old they typically learn a lot of new physical skills. The toddlers will begin to play some pretend games, at age 3 they are in a good position to grasp every word you say to them.
At the age of 2 years, they are grown into toddlers. You will find yourself comparing their growth to other toddlers at the same age or other moms comparing theirs to yours.
You will be faced with the dilemma of distinguishing the right skills they should already have at this stage as you try to determine whether they have a normal development curve. This is some challenge when it is your first child.
To help you in this we came up with some toddler development milestones for 2 years old checklist you can rely on to get a good idea of which toddler skills are common for your 2-year-old child.
The main point to note in this is that all toddlers are different and they tend to grow at their own pace. There is no need to panic if yours does not have all the things mentioned below.
Physical Toddler Developmental Milestones For Your 2-Year Old
In the second year expect the toddler to be up and about, their muscle strength or gross motor skills increase, and the muscle development in terms of increased movement or fine motor skills.
The Gross Motor Skills For 2-year Old Toddlers Comprise Of
- They start to walk, run and they also start to learn how to jump with both their feet.
- As they walk, they will tag and pull their toys behind them.
- Both hands can grasp a ball, throw it as well as kicking.
- Toddlers at this age can usually tiptoe and balance on one leg.
- They get the ability to climb on furniture and any object as they play.
- You will find them climbing stairs with the help of the rails, one step after the other.
Get them plenty of balloons, bubbles, and bouncing on playthings to keep on practicing on this and build their gross motor skills.
For the toddler development gross motor milestones the following skills are evident:
- They can brush their hair and brush their teeth on their own.
- This is the stage when you will have to keep on shouting to stop them from pulling their pants up and down inappropriately.
- They can wash their hands after turning on the faucet.
- As they play they can build a perfect tower of four blocks minimum.
- Once you insert the zip for them they can pull it up.
- Before they used their fists to grab objects but you will notice that they can hold things like utensils and crayons using their fingers. Though the hold may not be that firm.
The best way to assist in this skill is by having games like play-dough, putty, and painting with them. More tips on toddler activities here.
Cognitive Toddler Developmental Milestones Development
During the cognitive developmental milestones stage 2-Year old toddlers can:
- Look for new ways to handle a problem
- Toddlers will be able to learn more new things
- Stay for long without seeing you near them
- Minimized crying
- Can show some form of independence
- Toddlers are more involved in some pretend play like giving names to their playthings.
- They can talk about events that happened a couple of days ago.
- Your toddler use phrases like “the other day….”
- They can solve simple puzzles.
- Toddlers at this age can usually have a good distinction when it comes to objects type, color, and size.
- They can recite most of the memorized rhymes from books and school
- Toddlers can do simple things when told to
- They can take their coats off and hang them up
Play with them in the pretend games as much as possible. It will assist them in managing their thoughts, actions, and emotions. Get some tips on toddler development ideas.
Other Toddler Developmental Milestones Include:
During the language milestones stage:
- They can grasp most of what is said to them
- Your toddler will tend to talk a lot
- They can understand most words from familiar people
Social and Emotional Milestones
During the social and emotional milestones stage:
- They have some form of independence
- Develop some increased interest in other toddlers
- They will start to mimic
- Toddlers can play with other toddlers
- Your toddler can start to do things without help
- They will sometimes become a little bit disobedient
- Other tips on 24 months milestones here.
Share Your Thoughts
Toddler developmental milestones are indeed an exciting journey for any mother. It is during this stage of motherhood where you can track the progress of your child. Let us know your experience on this parenting adventure. We would love to hear back from your by putting some comments below.