Every first-time mom needs the parent-to-parent advice on how to go about on breastfeeding, soothing, and taking care of their baby, more so for the first 30 days.
12 Baby care Tips for New Moms for the First 30 Days
To make it easier for you as a new mom we have compiled the best baby tips that you can rely on for the best baby care tips for new moms for the first 30 days.
How to Heal Sore Nipples When Breastfeeding
Below is the list on how to heal sore nipples from breastfeeding:
- Seek help from others
- Make use of the hospital resources
- Be prepared to feed the baby any time they cry for some
- Replace your breast-pad frequently.
- Try some cold pack on your boobs
- Put some mild moisturizer on your nipples
- Train them to like the milk from the bottle
- Check that your newborn is latching properly
- Use a comfortable nursing bra
Most new moms will develop sore nipples and rough latch-ons as they breast-feed their babies. It is the most hectic thing to go through as a new mom.
1. Seek help from others
The first time moms who took their time to ask for help from their counterparts who already have older children have an increased success rate in terms of breast-feeding. You can ask this from your pediatrician too or take part in a nursing support group.
2. Make use of the hospital resources
Seek advice from that hospital nurse whenever feeding your baby becomes overwhelming. You should inquire about all the available resources for new moms as you leave the hospital. Ask around if they avail nursing classes or lactation support staff you can call anytime you face challenges in this.
3. Be prepared to feed the baby any time they cry for some
The moment they cry a little just pick them up and give them a breast to suck on without being tired from it. This will force you to drop some chores to attend to it. To make this more comfortable sip some juice or read a book to keep you distracted. To avoid being pressed by the need to take a leak, do it first before you embark on breast-feeding the baby.
4. Try some cold pack on your boobs
The heat from the coldness will help the milk flow especially if you have sore breasts. A bag of frozen peas applied on your breasts can do the magic well too.
5. Train them to like the milk from the bottle
Each time they are done with breastfeeding, give them a bottle to suck from to get used early enough. You can try this as early as the 3rd week.
How To Sleep With A Newborn
Since your newborn is still adapting to its new environment, their sleeping timing could vary and would not jibe with your sleeping schedule.
Here are tips on how to get a proper sleep with a newborn.
- Take shifts with your partner
- Stop fussing about being tired
- Whenever your baby sleeps, sleep too
- Do whatever it takes to calm the baby
- Don’t worry that your would be sleeping while your baby is awake
- Address your sleep disorder issues and discuss with your doctor
- Seek help from anyone who could watch the baby
- Discuss your sleep needs with someone would could assist
- Turn down the baby monitor
6. Stop fussing about being tired
Get used to being tired always from taking care of your baby. Anytime they are asleep create some time to take a nap and relax. There is no day you will have a full night’s sleep soon. So get acclimatized to this new routine.
7. Take shifts with your partner
Alternate care shifts for the baby especially if you have a partner to help you with this.
8. Whenever your baby sleeps sleep too
Take advantage of this and relax as they do since once they are awake you won’t get the chance to do this at all.
9. Do whatever it takes to calm the baby
Use all the tricks in the book, breastfeed them, rock them till they fall asleep. Let them sleep on the chest as much as they want.
Tips on Soothing the Baby
10. Swing, swaddle, and shush them
Anytime they can’t get calm and they tend to cry loud for nothing, use the above-mentioned three tricks to get them relaxed. These tend to create a sound similar to the one they were used to in the womb. Hold them on their sides as they suck too as a way to relax them.
11. Play some soft music
Any relaxed music will get them to sleep in no time.
12. Use warm things on the baby
As you change the diapers they will notice the change in temperature and set them to start crying. Warm the wipes by using paper towels or by wrapping them around warm water thermos, or get that electric wipe warmer if they are so sensitive. More baby care tips for new moms here.
Did you find this article useful and inspiring? Save THIS PIN to your Parenting Board or any related board on Pinterest and spread the love!